The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) recognizes that providing information to the public is fundamental to the operation of good government.
Timely, accurate information provided in a consistent manner helps ensure that the public is informed about government policies, activities, initiatives and programs and services.
It allows the government to take into account the concerns and views of the public in establishing priorities, developing policies and implementing programs.
It also ensures that the GNWT is visible, accessible and answerable to the people it serves.
The Mandate of the Government of the Northwest Territories includes the following commitments related to improving public engagement and transparency:
- Improve access to information and the protection;
- Improve collaboration for easier access to government programs and services online;
- Maximize citizens’ ability to access government by using consistent approaches to social media, visual identity, and overall communications;
- Establish an Open Government Policy to enhance civic participation, increase the availability and accessibility of information about government activities, and explore new technologies for openness and accountability, and;
- Improve opportunities for meaningful public input into government decision making by improving access to government public engagement initiatives and reporting on how public views have shaped government decisions.
This website will allow users to engage with the GNWT more easily, as well as provide information – building on previous GNWT efforts in this area – and updates on what the GNWT is doing to advance its mandate commitments related to public engagement and transparency.